Wednesday 28 November 2012

Cutting into colour



I have an exhibition at the Bowery Gallery in Leeds - details can be seen on the flyer above.
The image to the left is a small portion of my 'contempory response' to Matisse.  I can appreciate that I'm a very good fit for this exhibition... my methods and techniques being similar to Matisse's even though my work is usually much more chaotic and over flowing whilst Matisse is very controlled. I'm not any sort of art historian and always hated contextualizing my work at university... often getting into quite intense arguments with lecturers about 'originality' and that I didn't want to 'copy' other artists.  I used to be much more idealistic.
Anyway my point was going to be that when I started collaging I didn't really know what Matisse did or really gave any of his images much thought until I saw a documentary about two years ago and realised in terms of technique he did what I do. So when I was selected to make an image directly on the wall next to lots of original Matisse work I found it really complimentary and apt.  The image I put together on Friday is different from my usual work in that it tries to utilise the negative space a little and also makes more use of flat colour rather than textures.  I did put some patterns and prints in there but simply because if I didn't it wouldn't feel like I'd done it - and that wouldn't be right.

The exhibition preview is on Friday this week at 6pm to 8pm.  Directions and more information can be found here www.thebowery.org

No comments:

Post a Comment