Monday 7 March 2011

Ornamental Bird Broaches and Turbary Woods

Ornamental Birds take on much more useful forms than just ornaments on your shelf.  My new obsession is bird broaches. 

These broaches are surely the central nexus of all the various shades, tones and colours surrounding them - actually making everything I wear all of the sudden make perfect sense - somehow my clothes feel more complete with the addition of bird ornaments.  This is a recent thing too of the past two or three weeks - I've realised that bird ornaments are what I want to be wearing.  The one one the left of this paragraph for instance.  She is a very sweet creature, playing fanciful and carefree on a sea of varied checkered patterns though staying content upon the thick texture of my long loved brown, red and beige blazer.  I haven't given her a name, it's not my place to give her a name, nor is it my place to give her a gender but to me she will always be a she.  Me and She-Swan like to fold my blazer lapel outside of my open overcoat because she just loves to dance glistening in the sun.  Open to new loves and experiences and dancing into strangers eyes - never looking "weird" or "quirky" but forever looking right.  Therefore making me look right.


Now this next one is a small bird called a "Great Tit" which some would argue that in species name alone is representative of me - what with me being a "Great Tit" (geddit?).
It's only a little broach but I've given it a little tool which makes it look like a telescope, or like the poor thing is screaming geometric abstraction filled with bits of pink.  He's a sweet thing, and one can't blame him for trying can they, and he makes a very cute and dashing stand against the world - fighting not with his fists and not with guns but with his words.  He represents a character with an enquiring mind - ready to take action against the nature of existence.  He is worrying - fretting - asking why? No answers until he finds out why only to find more questions - retreating backwards - becoming self absorbed - going through spats of mental anguish followed by bouts of hyper manic egomania - he's doing all of that so you or I don't have to.  He's also lucky enough to be doing it whilst living on my lapel and making me look ever so spiffing. 

I love my bird broaches and these are the only two that I've found so far so keep your eyes peeled in the charity shops as I can give these majestic attention seekers and/or crazy dark poets a happy home on my lapels.

Other bird news is that I went to an Owl Sanctuary at the weekend.  It was really really very good.  If you live in the Manchester area you should go along, you get to feed them and fly them and all for the price of £5 - I am such an advert, but honestly it was very very good.  A link is just below:

http://turbarywoods.co.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment