Tuesday 28 May 2013

Interpretation challenge.


By selling work on EBay I actually got commissioned to make a larger picture for someone's home.  Which is a good result and proves that selling cheap tiny images on EBay can lead to selling larger work.  The picture I made is the one above.  I made it based on the buyer really wanting a large picture in the style of a smaller piece that they really liked.


This image is they liked enough to want a larger interpretation of.  So I had transplant the style of this picture onto three large pages of A3.  The original image was much smaller so the details are more obvious.  So I'm going to show a close up of the middle section of the commission to give some sense of what it looks like closer up.



In a way this is an improvement on the original but in some ways it isn't.  The lady commissioning the work was drawn to the original image for it's simplicity and because it lacked some of the chaos of most of the other work I make.  So in this extension of the prior image I have inadvertently blended the more chaotic elements into the more traditional.  This should tell me something.  The most high priced pieces of artwork I've sold have vaguely resembled cityscapes.  So perhaps if I really want money and to sell lots of large pieces of artwork I should probably just build images that resemble cities.  Which wouldn't be too hard.  Simply intermingle contrasting floors and skies.  I suppose anyone with eyes can relate to the floor and the sky.  They are quite essential and well known opposites.

Does this mean I'm going to be primarily making cityscape images?  I hope not.  I'm not half as awake to to really plan things that way.  Also it would get a little bit boring.  I never really plan any of my pictures unless someone asks me to do something specific.  Then I tend to be okay at doing that because almost any composition can made in my stylized way.

So the challenge is to for anyone who can be bothered reading all this to suggest things for me to interpret.  Then I'll give them a go.  I doubt I'll get many comments in response to this so my list of things to interpret will likely stay very small.

3 comments:

  1. Well done Garth glad to see the whole ebay is creating interest.
    Must admit it was how my son first got noticed, and while it doesn't always work
    it is worth a try.

    good luck

    Nick C

    ReplyDelete