Saturday 18 August 2012

The opening dilates with inefficient sparks

This is one of three images I've been working on since moving house - I've posted it here because it's the first to be completed, though in actual fact it's an extension or even a destruction of a previous piece of work - which was actually really really good but sadly the canvas was very warped so it had to be destroyed.  I've put the best part on a smaller canvas and put the remainder in on a shelf.  The warped, cracked and useless canvas frame is discarded into the basement, I was meaning to take it to a skip but haven't gotten around to it.  Someone was interested in buying the original image but it's so warped that if it were to be put on the wall it would just stick out at a funny angle - like putting a walker's crisp on the wall and attempting to make it flat.

I'm becoming less and less precious about my artwork.  Pictures and materials tend to take up so much space and the more you produce the less space you have - so it's very logical that I start to cannibalise my pictures into new pictures... this has always been the way I've done things -before through photocopying and permutation and now through reworking old work into new and better work.

"Better" is subjective and debatable though there isn't really a vast amount of people debating my work except for myself and myself.... and both of me have to deal with the practical side of these things.  Why spend money I'm not earning on producing more images when I can mix images together and try to progress my work in a new direction (or in the same direction but slightly "better")?  Would it be preferable to hold onto stuff that is years behind what I'm doing in the bleak hope of some retrospective exhibition when I'm dead?  It would be a pretty dull retrospective if all my work was warped and broken with bits of card flaking away.

1 comment:

  1. I like this one. If this is the result of cannibalizing your own work I'm all for it.

    The yellow shards make it.

    ReplyDelete