Sunday 1 January 2012

Slow and imperceptible experimentation

As you'll see my blog logo and background is now in full colour - it's as if I'm one of those magazines that relaunches itself on it's anniversary with ten extra glossy pages... except all I've done is spend a few hours over the Christmas weekend colouring in my logo and background and thinking that if I change it on New Years Day I could give off the impression that I am entering into some brave new era of blogging. 

However in contrast to this brave new era I'm also posting these black and white collages I made over the last few weeks...


These images exhibit the usual preoccupations and also the same methods as I've been using for quite a while - creatively I move in a sort of sidewards fashion adjusting and developing ideas through slow and imperceptible experimentation.  Sometimes I don't feel as if I've made any headway at all and then all of a sudden I'll make something that changes everything... that's the problem with having a rather muggy, foggy and convoluted mind... there is a lack of organisation so inspiration and ideas are developing all over the place sometimes not quite gelling at all until a year or two later.

Good news is I have a new 2012 page a day diary which I'm going to use every day - like I did with diary I had last year, before I lost it that is.  This new diary is a lovely posh diary from Paperchase which I'm unlikely to lose because it's so big - last years was a little pound shop diary that was starting to fall apart by February anyway, but it was a great help - by the end of January I had so much of my life sorted out - my socks were arranged in my drawers lined up like tiny multicoloured pigs... so hopefully this new Diary will fast track my life and art work into something really organized and brilliant... I hope to scan the developing pages of my diary into this blog because last year the scribbled out activities and layers of highlighter and tippex took on a rather organic and visual life of their own.... which made it all the more annoying when I lost it as I saw it as a developing art project.... so wish me the best of luck... just going off now to sort out my pencil case because my Diary is telling me too.

1 comment:

  1. Love the B&W collages because they have a real sense of depth! Feel like I could move forward and fall into them. Cool.

    And Happy New Year! I now have 3 diaries and am yet to write anything in them. :-D

    ReplyDelete