Wednesday 23 May 2012

Jagged centres of essential circles



Another image created by collaging over an old picture from years ago that was dropping to bits on top of my wardrobe.  A whole layer torn off and new layers stuck over the top.  I've called this image "Jagged centres of essential circles".  It features a few of my more familiar motives but what I hoped to achieve, at least in a subtle way, was a definite and organic shift in colour and shade from top to bottom.  The lower half of the image containing much more red and the upper half containing much more blue.  I also wanted the image to have a centre which draws in the eye but isn't a horizon point - more rather a point where the rest of image revolves around cycloptically.

I've been creating a variety of images for years and it's evident (to myself at least) that I've developed a fairly unique technique and style - this may be to do with a very stubborn refusal to not contextualising my work or trying to reference other artists.  What I've realised of late though is a style can become repetitious and I've gotten to a point where I want to create differences of speed and pattern within my image rather than create constant windows into chaos and confusion.  Chaos and confusion can be made all the more effective when given a counterpoint or an opposite with which to contrast.  I've been  developing some images which should hopefully imbue more of a contrast.                                                                                                Other news is that my semi self portrait - Self Diagrammatical Blood Speech - has been selected for the 2nd stage of judging to be entered into an arts contest - so fingers crossed that it impresses the judges.  I had to take it out of it's aluminium frame and make sure it was all stuck down properly covering it with a layer of very strong glue.  I didn't sleep in my own bed last night because one of my collages was taking up all the space.   Had a good nights sleep though - it's good to get out of the confines of my stuffy boxroom. Especially during such warm weather.

2 comments:

  1. Good luck! Hope you get selected! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for following my blog, nice work. It reminds me of the shapes I sometimes see when I scrunch my eyes up with my knuckles.

    ReplyDelete