Sunday 20 May 2012

One identity globdule enters the Fear Fog and breaks into separate eyes

I was asked to create a drawing for an exhibition of 60 drawings at the Bankley Gallery (the opening for which is on Friday 1st June) - this is likely due to me being on their list of contacts due to doing an exhibition there last year.  The drawing I eventually handed into them is a very overworked picture which is half drawing, half collage... which means I collaged together loads of my drawings and then drew on top of them.
I ended up enjoying this and getting increasingly overconfident and ended up overdrawing and therefore just created a bit of a mess compared to the very concise image I what I started out with.  

   

I called it "One identity globdule enters the Fear Fog and breaks into separate eyes"  I doubt it's easy to tell why I called it this due to the image not possessing any differentiation of style but for the purpose of explaining the title I've zoomed into certain areas and will now write what each area is representative of.



The above is the "identity globdule".  A sort of malformed mass of human self definition.



The "identity globdule" bubbles into the fear "Fear Fog" - a nowhere pool of everything intangible doubtful and confusing.


These are all of the separate eyes - which is the self analysis breaking apart and looking for different modes of self definition.

Identity crutches are flimsy - made out of very old twigs which can't support a developing mind unless they are constantly repaired and maintained.  Sometimes you may hear or see the supports snapping underneath someone's big idea of their self.  They realise that wearing converse trainers doesn't put them in the same elite as whoever it is they like who wears converse.  

This extends beyond the superficial and into personality, gender and sexuality.  Like someone who is cheating on loads of people and calling themselves polysexual or someone who doesn't want to get into fights calling himself a pacifist as if they are resisting going to war or killing people rather than just keeping out of trouble.  By giving yourself labels you are simply fictionalising yourself into a two dimensional ego ideal and attempting to cover the holes in your inadequacy with cannibalised words made into temporary tattoos (washing off uselessly in a heavy storm).  

I don't think of myself as an artist for instance.  It's a snooty word to make someone think they are so much more creative and important that anyone else.  Also because I produce the occasional misstep (like the drawing this blogpost is the subject of) and then label it with a confusing sub poetic title followed up with a blog post about identity crutches.  Giving the impression that I'm really onto something - all the while making fun out of converse trainers, polysexuals and pacifists - until I loop my tangent into a circle which eventually returns in on myself and therefore leaves me blameless for any offence or disagreement possibly caused.  I simply don't have enough strength in these thoughts to turn them into convictions.  This is very comforting.

No comments:

Post a Comment