Sunday 2 September 2012

Projecting elements of disassembling head


One last new canvas to go into my exhibition at the Leeds Gallery.  A lot of it's texture was taken from my least favourite image of the last few years though it's mixed in with a lot of darkness which builds in some much needed definition.

Another texture I used in this image can be found here - something I made ages ago hoping to implement into my installation last year but never finding a way to do so.  Its good for me to mass produce an idea forever and ever even if it's not going to be used for another few years.   Think I have a big phase of mass production coming on soon as I'm quite interested in formulating myself a lot of other patterns and textures for images so my work can develop more.

This picture has a point of focus and the impression of a face.  An eye or some other detachable sphere can be seen shooting away from it in the top corner - though in all honesty I imagine the eye has some independence of it's own - like a detachable bionic eye.   What I was trying to do is create both the impression of implosion and explosion at the same time.  Besides from the eye there isn't really any other tangible organic part except for the teeth - which are all eschew - the rest of the face could be anything because it's caught in motion and a standstill, it could be either falling apart or it could be falling back together.

Problems with interpretation of art is that after describing one idea of what the image is about there are also multiple other interpretations I have about what's going on in that particular image, the whole task of putting an image into words is tricky but that's the main reason i started this blog in the first place.  The main issue is that there is no absolute interpretation to put down in writing in the first place but more of a series of interpretations.  So writing about an image can be as elusive as the image itself.

Setting down one clumsy interpretation after another could be good fun.  Perhaps making a picture based entirely on interpretations would be good - looking like a vast hieroglyphic of interconnected clumsy shapes which all conclude in nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment